Gladstone Cove, located at mile marker 3 on the Gravois Arm of Lake of the Ozarks, was once the site of the village of Gladstone. The settlement was little more than the crossing of two roads--one followed the Gravois Creek north and south, the other road was the original connecting route of present day state roads Y and O. This east-west road forded Gravois Creek just at the mouth of today's Gladstone Cove.
Gladstone does not show up on the 1893 USGS map of the area, however it does appear on a county map of 1905. And yet, curiously, it is not mentioned at all in a county history written in 1905.
© 2000 by Michael Gillespie. All rights reserved.